An ultramarathon is any running event longer than a traditional marathon. Simple solution to make 26.2 miles seem shorter, run 50 miles. And that is exactly what my next event does, it makes the marathon seem shorter. While this seems crazy, and it is, the ULTRA and I have some history.
Last Fall, I had the Las Vegas Marathon on my calendar and my uncle mentioned an ultra in Mississippi he really enjoys, the MS50. The MS50 offers an interesting feature, the organizers allow runners during the race to switch races after one or two loops; 20K to 50K or 50 Mile; 50K to 50M or 20K; or 50M to 50K or 20K. I signed up for the full encalada, 50 miles. But, after the LV Marathon my left knee felt really weird and the story ends with me having knee surgery on it in January. I did go to Mississippi that March and completed the 20k walking. But, the MS50 has been the one race that I didn't finish what I set out to do. It really bugs me. I fully intend on one day making it back and finishing the 50 miler. Also, I want that belt buckle. But, for now a race closer to home will do.
After all, the Sunmart Texas Trail Endurance Run is the premier trail run in the United States. But, you don't get a belt buckle.
No comments:
Post a Comment