Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tough Guys

It is fun and inspiring to see and read about tough guys. I would say the bar is set with Ivan Drago (Insert Barry Bonds asterisk). John Cena, Iron Mike, and Mickey Goldmill all make the cut.

David Goggins is a tough guy. Here is a excerpt from an article about him on IRONMAN.com:

In 2005, 11 military personnel were killed in Afghanistan when a recovery attempt to save some at-risk SEALS by helicopter went awry. Goggins attended training school with four of those killed. He vowed to raise money for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, which pays the college tuition for children of special-operations personnel killed in the line of duty.

“It’s a gesture from me,” Goggins told The San Diego Union-Tribune, “letting the families know their husbands or daughters did not die in vain.”

Another Goggins oddity?

He promises, absolutely swears, that he hates distance running. According to his wife, Aleeza, Goggins’ first words when he heads out the front door for a run are:

“I hate this (stuff).”

Keep in mind that last year he raced seven 100-milers. Counting training, the guy averaged – averaged – running 21 miles a day. So why do it if you hate it so much?

“People respond to pain,” he told The Union-Tribune. “If I go out and wash cars for $10, who gives a (darn). People want to see you throw up, cry and go through tremendous suffering.”

Goggins says he has raised nearly $300,000 for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

While Goggins says the Ford Ironman World Championship pales in comparison to other endurance events as far as difficulty, he has total admiration for the men and women who participate in the event, particularly the professionals and elite age-groupers.

“These people are very special,” he says. “Especially the pros. Never in a million years could I hang with those guys. They have different body styles, different turnover. They’re elite athletes. I’m not an elite athlete. I’m just a guy who suffers.”

Goggins has finished third at the Badwater Ultramarathon, a 135-mile ultramarathon that starts in the heat of summer in Death Valley, California, and finishes 8,360 feet up Mount Whitney. He has run 203½ miles in a 48-hour event.

Suffer is what the guy does best.

“I like picking the hardest thing to do,” he says. “That’s the only way I can find out what I’m about. I can’t find out what I’m about watching TV.”

No comments: