Monday, October 11, 2010

Unprimed

I rode my bike for a little over 4 hours, 65 miles, and then set out for a run. I ran 30 minutes then rethought life in a bathroom. The real problem with training on your own, rather then in races as I did last year, is your training sessions aren't catered. I had about 2 bottles of water, 1 gatorade and 2 granola bars during the bike and I got a sharp reminder of the fastest way to end your day. I was really a bit of a mess and it hit me despite hammering a gatorade and some bread during the bike/run transition. It is fascinating learning from your body and my real red flag came when I wasn't thirsty or hungry, normally in a race I am both. It is very odd to experience a disgust for water and food, when my body should have loved to have both.

I walked for 30 minutes trying to get back to neutral. If it was a race I would have pushed but at that point I took the training day as more of a lesson than getting in milage. I ran for 30 more minutes and jumped in the gulf for a quick 5 minute swim.

I felt good on the bike, which was really the goal, and the small waves in the gulf calmed my nerves a bit about the Ironman Florida start. Sadly, I forgot to drink the Gatorade Prime before my workout.

No comments: